Sunday, August 17, 2008

Estes Park

I meant to post this before now but with finals for 2nd quarter last week, I just plain ran out of time. My mom and dad took the three of us to Estes Park last weekend. for some fresh mountain air. We spent three days admiring Estes and all the tourists....well not really admiring the tourists but you know what I mean. The town was pretty full.

We drove to the top of Rocky Mountain National Park on Friday and saw some gorgeous bull elk. They were just munching away on the grass and not minding all the cars that had literally stopped on the highway to see them. It was pretty amazing. I've never seen elk that close before! Not ones that were alive anyway! Later Friday afternoon, my dad and I took the kids mini-golfing. They had never been before and we had so much fun! Leo got a hole-in-one at every hole....of course his idea of golfing was to pick up the ball and drop it in the hole at the other end....and Shannyn was getting the hang of it towards the end of the day. Actually, I don't know who was having more fun; the kids or my dad.


Saturday we took the aerial tramway to the top of a mountain...Prospect mountain I think. The views from up there were stunning. The kids had a ball feeding peanuts to the ground squirrels and climbing rocks. Some of those squirrels were so fat and their cheeks were full of nuts too. That didn't stop them though. They kept coming back for more! It rained Saturday afternoon and I caught this picture of a brilliant rainbow near our campground. The picture really doesn't do it justice.


All in all, it was a fun trip. We were only about an hour away from home, but it was still nice to get out of town for a few days.

1 comment:

Jaded said...

That sounds like a great vacation! I'm a huge fan of Estes Park. Rob and I went there for our 5 year anniversary last summer. We had a fabulous time. We'll take you up there to Mama Rosa's some time. Best. Italian food. Ever.

Glad you're updating your blog again!!