Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School Days


Shannyn started kindergarten last week! I can't believe she's already that old. It seems like just yesterday she was crawling around the floor and learning to talk. She loves going to school and loves her teacher. I'm so glad that she is enjoying it and I hope she always does. She's not too keen on doing her homework but who really does like homework anyway? She is doing great though and was actually sounding out a few short words with me yesterday. It won't be long before she'll be reading the bedtime stories to me! I hope she grows to love reading like her daddy did. Bryan was never seen without a book and would get antsy if he finished a book and didn't have another one to read. I think Shannyn will be like Bryan though. She has always liked to "read" books and lately has started making up her own stories to go along with the pictures in some of the books we have at home.

I did really well last week with getting Shannyn to school. I really didn't get too sad until Thursday when I didn't walk her to the playground. It was so hard for me to watch her walk into the school while I stood by the car. I had a huge moral dilemma going on inside my head! I felt like I was a slacker of a mom because I didn't hold her hand and walk to the playground with her. On the other hand, I was trying to let her go on her own a little bit. It was so tough and it still is, but with me back in school this week, I can't walk her into class and be on time to my classes too. Arggghhh!!! All you out there who don't have kids yet, or kids that aren't in school yet, have no idea of the mental struggle I am having over my "baby" girl!!!!! It's so hard to realize that they are going to grow up and be adults (sooner than I think) and there is nothing I can do to stop it or even slow it down. I only hope and pray that I can prepare them for life and to be responsible, caring, and strong....among other things.

No comments: